Damaged Passport Instructions
It may be possible to apply for a passport renewal with a slightly damaged passport.
However, we do not recommend this as the application may be rejected and the applicant will need to start over using these instructions.
Please Read Entire Checklist. Keep this page open.
All links should be opened in a new tab or window.
All paperwork must be printed single-sided. Double sided prints may delay your processing.
- Complete Application Form DS-11
The DS-11 Form is the government required passport application. You will click this link and it will take you to the government website to complete the typed application online for your damaged passport replacement. Type in your information and save the form. It will save as a PDF file to your computer. Print this DS-11 form but do not sign it yet. Come back to this webpage of the Fastport Passport Instructional Checklist and continue to Step 2 in order to replace your damaged passport replacement fast.
Complete the new passport form online DS-11 2D Barcoded Application Form online using the Passport Application Wizard.
Tips: The typed DS-11 is required. Hand-written applications are not accepted for expedited passport applicants. The Passport Application Wizard is a ‘smart form’ that will create a typed DS-11 Application Form. Print the DS-11 and proceed to Step 2 below. Do NOT sign the DS-11 until Step 3.
DS-11 Tips: The government fee is not paid through the DS-11 Passport Wizard. The Payment & Fees page on the application is designed for traditional passport applicants to calculate their fees but does not apply for those utilizing our service. Select any option and click NEXT PAGE. You will pay the required government fees with a check or money order (Step 2). Select any option and click next page so you can continue with the application. Do NOT click PREVIEW FORM. Click NEXT until you get to the final page. Scroll to the bottom of the page and on the left, click CREATE FORM. Save the PDF file and print two copies of the barcode application. Print out 2 copies of pages 5 & 6 (the pages with your data). Do not sign until instructed by the acceptance agent (step 3). An acceptance agent will verify your identity and documents and is usually located at the post office or county clerk. This step is required for new passport applicants. Refer to Step 3 for more information and locations. Wait to sign all your documents until you are seen by an acceptance agent.
TIP: The Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. Failure to include the SSN will cause your passport application to be delayed or denied. If the applicant has never received their SSN, please print and complete this form.Recap and Important Information
- Complete the form online using the Passport Application Wizard. This will create a 2D barcode application form. All passport agencies now require the use of this form. When DS11 form is complete and printed please refer back to this checklist.
- Print out pages 5 & 6 of the completed application form.
- Leave signature blank until instructed to do so by the Acceptance Agent at the post office or county clerk.
Important: DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO AT PASSPORT ACCEPTANCE FACILITY Important: YOUR SIGNATURE MUST APPEAR THE SAME ON ALL DOCUMENTS. DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE EXCEPT THE APPLICANT SIGN THE FORM. PLEASE PRINT APPLICATION FORM ON INDIVIDUAL PAGES NOT DOUBLE SIDED. IF YOUR SIGNATURE HAS CHANGED OVER THE YEARS PLEASE SUBMIT A COPY OF CURRENT SIGNATURE IDENTIFICATION. PLEASE SIGN IN BLACK INK ONLY!
- Gather Supporting Documents
DAMAGED PASSPORT & DAMAGE STATEMENT
- Submit damaged Passport.
- Complete a damaged passport statement letter.
- Explained why your passport was damaged and explain the extent of the damage.
- Sign and date this form.
• Print two copies and complete the Passport Processing Authorization Letter.
- The applicant must check off the first two boxes as well as write the courier company name (Fastport Passport) on the bottom of the authorization letter. Please complete all fields any errors will delay the process of your expedited passport.
- Important: Please DO NOT check off all three boxes on the letter of authorization this may delay processing of your passport
• Fill out this form by hand and sign the bottom using black ink. E-Signaures are not accepted.
Important: This authorization letter must go inside of the hand carry envelope when you appear at the acceptance agent.
SUBMIT PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPHS
- Provide one new passport photo (2”x2”).
- Passport photos can be taken at most CVS, Walgreens, FedEx Kinkos, and Post Offices.
- Handwrite your full name in pencil on the backside of your passport photo.
- If you are planning to print your own passport photos, please use the Passport Agency’s Composition Template Tool for verification.
- The passport photo must be taken within the past 6 months and cannot be a photo of another person.
SUBMIT PROOF OF IDENTITY:
(Recommended to submit two forms of identification)
• Provide a copy of a valid driver’s license that has been issued for more then 6 months
• If you do not have a valid drivers license you are required to appear at the passport acceptance agent with an identifying witness, who has a drivers license or a valid passport.
• In addition, it helps to provide copies of at least three Supplemental Identification documents to avoid any delays in processing you application with the U.S. Department of State.
Acceptable Supplemental Identification:
– Non Drivers ID Card – Library Card – Lease Agreement – Work Identification – Credit Card – Voters Registration Card – Social Security Card – School ID – Baptismal Certificate – Health Insurance Card – High School Year Book
SUBMIT PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP
• Provide one original document (not a copy) from the following:
NOTE: As of 2010, the US DEPT OF STATE requires the Long Form Birth Certificate with both parents listed.
If you cannot locate your birth certificate you can download the file search form and pay the US Department of State $150 in lieu of submitting your birth certificate or you can order your birth certificate from Vital Check and it takes 3-5 business days if you have time.
Certified U.S. birth certificate (must meet all of the following requirements): Issued by the City, County, or State of birth. Lists bearer’s full name, date of birth, and place of birth. Lists parent(s) full names. Has date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth). Has registrar’s signature. Has embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of registrar. Photocopies and notarized copies are unacceptable.
IMPORTANT: DOCUMENTS THAT ARE MUTILATED ALTERED, OR DAMAGED WILL BE REJECTED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE. PLEASE WRITE A DAMAGE STATEMENT.
SUBMIT PROOF OF INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
- Provide two copies of one of the following travel documents below proving your international travel within 14 days of this application submission. More information on how to provide proof of travel.
- Acceptable proof of international travel: Plane Ticket, e-Ticket, confirmed flight itinerary, or a Business Letter from Employer or Company. Hotel reservations are only acceptable for travel to Canada and Mexico.
REQUIRED GOVERNMENT FEES
IMPORTANT: The U.S. Department of State fee is paid separately from Fastport Passport’s service fee, and must be paid via personal check (check number must be above #100) or postal money order. Temporary checks and starter checks are not accepted. All other forms of payment are subject to suspension from the U.S. Department of State.
- U.S. Department of State Fee – $170.00 (adults) – $140 (child)
- A new check or money order in the amount of $170.00 must list your preprinted or handwritten name and address.
- The check (personal, certified, cashiers or travelers) or money order (U.S. Postal, commercial, currency exchange) should be made payable to “U.S. Department of State”.
- Starter checks and 3rd party checks are not accepted.
- Acceptance Agency Fee – $35.00
- Leave check or money order blank (Acceptance agent will instruct you to whom to make the check or money order payable to).
- Visit Application Facility
Taking Application To a Passport Acceptance Facility
- Applicant and Parents/Guardians MUST Appear in person at a post office, courthouse, or county clerk and present the original documents to an acceptance agent authorized to accept passport applications. The acceptance agent MUST witness the signing of the passport application.
- IMPORTANT: Both parents must appear in person at a post office or court house and present the original documents to an acceptance agent which is authorized to accept passport applications. If both parents are not available, the absentee parent must fill out a consent form DS-3053 which allows the one parent to apply for the passport. This form must be notarized and the notary cannot hand write the expiration date. You must sign and notarize on the same date. If dates are not consistent your application will be rejected. It must be part of their stamp. Please contact our office at (800) 220-1759 if you have any questions. If you cannot locate the non-applying parent of cannot get their consent, you will need to complete the Form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.
- Notify the agent that you are using an expediting service to “hand carry” your application.
- The acceptance agent will take All Documents you prepared in Step 1.
- The agent will instruct you to Sign the DS-11 in their presence. Your signature must appear the same and match favorably on all documents.
- They will also verify the child to the passport photos given.
- The agent will then Seal the DS-11, photos, proof of citizenship, travel documents, authorization letter and the $140.00 check in an envelope marked “To be opened by U.S. Passport Office Only”.
- You MUST attach a copy of all your documents (travel plans, application, authorization letter, etc) to the outside of the hand carry envelope with a paperclip. This is required, and for our review only, as the sealed envelope cannot be opened or tampered with in any way. You will take the sealed envelope and the copy of your documents and put them into a FedEx, UPS, or USPS envelope to send to our office. Without a copy of ALL documents, your application WILL NOT be submitted. It will be sent back to you!
IMPORTANT: Make sure the agent returns the sealed hand carried envelope to you.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT OPEN THIS SEALED HAND CARRIED ENVELOPE OR THE APPLICATION WILL BE INVALID. You must also send this sealed envelope to our processing department by the following day or your application may be denied.
IMPORTANT: The date of adjudication MUST be written on the outside of the sealed hand carried envelope. If the acceptance agent does not stamp the date or write it on the envelope, please do it yourself. This is required and if this date is missing your application will not be accepted. Please include the applicant’s name and Date of Birth on the outside of the adjudicated envelope as well.
Hand Carry envelope Instructions:
In order for our office to review your documents and help avoid any delays, please attach your 2nd copy of the DS-11, travel plans, and letter of authorization to the outside of the hand carry envelope with a paperclip. You may use black marker to cover/ remove your SSN on the outside copy of the DS11. There should be the signed version of the DS-11, travel plans, and letter of authorization inside the sealed hand carry envelope as well. You will take the sealed envelope and the attached copies of the documents and place all of them in a FedEx, UPS, or USPS overnight envelope and send that to us as explained under Step 4.
The “Hand Carry” Sealed Adjudicated Envelope must be sent to our processing department by the following day. Applications received after 3 days of being sealed will delay or deny your application.
IMPORTANT: If you are traveling within the next 48 hours, do not send in your documents without speaking to our passport specialists first!
You MUST attach a copy of all your documents (travel plans, application, authorization letter, etc) to the outside of the hand carry envelope with a paperclip. This is required, and for our review only, as the sealed envelope cannot be opened or tampered with in any way. You will take the sealed envelope and the copy of your documents and put them into a FedEx, UPS, or USPS envelope to send to our office. Without a copy of ALL documents, your application WILL NOT be submitted. It will be sent back to you!
Shipping Your Passport Application For Expedited Processing
Any forms with a signature and date field MUST be completed with your original signature and date. Copies are not accepted. Failure to sign and date your DS application or LOA will delay your processing.
Ship all documents to:
Attention Passport Dept.
1318 Coney Island Ave
Brooklyn NY 11230
Note: Same Day passport requests are processed the next business day unless you speak with a representative and arrange first overnight shipping with Fed Ex.
Now you have completed the Fastport Passport Expedited checklist!! If you have already paid for service you can send your documents to us and relax while we process your expedited passport request. If you have reviewed the checklist and now want to proceed to check out: Click Here to see our expedited service options that best fit your needs.