Passport Renewal Instructions (15-20 Business Days only)
IMPORTANT: Only Adult Passports issued when the applicant was 16 or older are eligible for renewal as long as the passport is undamaged and less than 5 years expired. Minor passports (issued at 15 years old or younger) cannot be renewed.
*Save this page and open any links in a new tab or window*
All paperwork must be printed single-sided. Double sided prints may delay your processing
- Complete Application Form DS-11
Provide Your Expired or Soon-To-Be-Expired Passport
- Make sure your passport is signed.
- Your passport must be less than 5 years expired in order to renew.
- If your passport was issued over 15 years ago, you cannot renew your passport. You must apply for a new adult passport.
- If your previous passport was issued when you were under the age of 16, you need to apply for a new adult passport.
- If your passport was issued as a limited validity passport, you should NOT attempt to renew it. You need to apply for a new adult passport.
- You will need a replacement passport if your passport is damaged, missing, or altered. If your passport has some minor damage and you’d still like to apply for a passport renewal, please submit a Typed Letter of Damage Statement explaining the damage (what, where, when, why) and sign and date the statement in black ink. Please include a contact phone number in the event the Department of State has further questions. If the Damage Statement is not accepted, you will need to apply for a replacement passport and not a renewal.
- If your name has changed, you will need to include proof of name change. This will be a name change decree, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.
- All original documents will be returned to you with your new passport.
B. Provide Your Passport Photograph
- Provide one new passport photo (2”x2”).
- We highly recommend using the Passport Photo Creator mobile app. Download this app for free on your iOS or Android device. This easy-to-use app lets you take your own photo and will verify if your photo is compliant with the passport photo requirements set by the U.S. Department of State Passport Agency. Once you are satisfied with your passport photo, you can print to any of the 8000 Walgreens locations near you in less than one hour. You will only pay for the photo when you pick it up at your local Walgreens ($13.99). An unacceptable passport photo is the #1 reason passports are rejected or delayed. The Passport Photo Creator will help eliminate passport photo rejections.
- Handwrite your full name in pencil on the backside of your passport photo.
- The passport photo must be taken within the past 6 months and cannot be a photo of another person.
Passport Photo requirements
The Passport Photo Creator mobile app will help you take a perfect passport photo. Utilizing biometric facial recognition software, your passport photo will show real-time compliance checks to ensure your passport photo will be accepted. The app will verify the following Passport Photo Requirements: Eyeglasses must be removed. Recent Color Photo taken in last six months. 2×2 inches in size (51mm x 51mm). Photo Quality Paper. Head size must be between 1 inch and 1 ⅜ inches. Plain white or off-white background. Neutral facial expression (no smiles!) directly facing the camera. Normal clothing. No uniforms, except for religious clothing worn daily. No hats or head covering that covers hair or hairline, unless worn daily for religious purposes. Face must be visible with no shadows being cast on face. No headphones or similar items can be worn. Hearing devices normally worn may be included. Dark glasses or tinted lenses non-prescription glasses are not allowed. If they are a medical need, then you may need to provide medical certification.
C. Provide Required Government Fees
- Make a check or money order payable to ‘U.S. Department of State’ in the amount of $170
- If you would like a Passport Card along with your passport book, please make the check or money order payable to ‘U.S. Department Of State’ in the amount of $200
IMPORTANT: The government fees are paid separately from our fee to expedite your passport. Include your date of birth on the check or money order. Starter checks without an address will not be accepted.
D. Download & Print The Letters Of Authorization
- Print one copy of the Letters of Authorization.
- Complete the Letters of Authorization by hand in blue or black ink.
- IMPORTANT: Only check off the first two boxes. DO NOT check off all three boxes on the Letter of Authorization. This form allows Fastport Passport to expedite your passport application.
E. Include Travel Plans (if applicable)
Recap and Important Information
- If you do not include travel plans, your passport will be submitted for processing and it will take the full 15-20 business days. This is 3-4 weeks so please check your calendar as we cannot upgrade you once it is in processing. If you need a faster service, please contact us immediately before sending in your documents.
- We recommend you include your travel plans to ensure your passport will be processed in time for your trip. Please include a copy of the flight itinerary, e-ticket, flight confirmation, etc.
- Complete the form online using the Passport Application Wizard. This will create a 2D barcode application form. All passport agencies now require the use of this form. When DS11 form is complete and printed please refer back to this checklist.
- Print out pages 5 & 6 of the completed application form.
- Leave signature blank until instructed to do so by the Acceptance Agent at the post office or county clerk.
Important: DO NOT SIGN THIS FORM UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO AT PASSPORT ACCEPTANCE FACILITY Important: YOUR SIGNATURE MUST APPEAR THE SAME ON ALL DOCUMENTS. DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE EXCEPT THE APPLICANT SIGN THE FORM. PLEASE PRINT APPLICATION FORM ON INDIVIDUAL PAGES NOT DOUBLE SIDED. IF YOUR SIGNATURE HAS CHANGED OVER THE YEARS PLEASE SUBMIT A COPY OF CURRENT SIGNATURE IDENTIFICATION. PLEASE SIGN IN BLACK INK ONLY!
- Complete Application Form DS-82
- Complete the form online using the Passport Application Wizard.
- All passport agencies now require the use of the 2D bar code application form.
- You will put your preferred address as the mailing address on the 2D bar code application form.
- You will NOT be making a payment via this form since you are using an expeditor service, so IGNORE the payment page at the end. Simply select any option and continue so you can print this form.
- Do not click preview form. Click NEXT PAGE at the bottom. On the last page, click ‘Create Form’ and a PDF file will open up. Print this PDF and sign it.
- TIP: Handwritten applications are not accepted for expedited passport applicants by the U.S. Department of State.
- TIP: The Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. Failure to include the SSN will cause your passport application to be delayed or denied.
IMPORTANT: Handwritten applications are not accepted for expedited processing. You are not applying for your passport online, but rather completing the application form online to print it out. Government fees are paid with a check or money order.
- Package and Send Your Documents
Preparation for Sending Documents to Fastport Passport
Make sure you have the following: your expired or soon-to-be-expired passport, passport photo, government fee, name change documents (if applicable), and DS-82 passport application (must be typed), and Letter of Authorization.
Any forms with a signature and date field MUST be completed with your original signature and date. Copies are not accepted. Failure to sign and date your DS application will delay your processing until we receive a typed, signed, and dated original application. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
Send your Documents for Expedited Processing to Fastport Passport Processing Department
Ship all documents to:
Attention Fastport Passport
1318 Coney Island Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11230
*DO NOT REQUIRE SIGNATURE FOR DELIVERY OR YOUR DOCUMENTS WILL BE RETURNED!
Important: If you are not eligible for a passport renewal, your documents will not be submitted and will be returned at your expense. Please call ahead before sending your documents if you are concerned about your eligibility.
IMPORTANT: If you receive an email or mail notice from the U.S. Department of State regarding an issue with your passport application, please contact us immediately for support. email@example.com 877-910-7277