U.S. Passport Renewal Instructions
IMPORTANT: Only Adult Passports issued when the applicant was 16 or older are eligible for renewal as long as the passport is undamaged and less than 5 years expired. Minor passports (issued at 15 years old and under) cannot be renewed.
Save this page and open any links in a new tab or window
Please print all the paperwork single-sided to avoid processing delays.
- Gather Required Documents
Download & Print Registered Courier Service Letter Of Authorization
- Call us for the required Letter of Authorization.
- Print each of the Letters of Authorization.
- Complete the Letter of Authorization by hand in blue or black ink. Electronic signatures are not accepted.
- Please follow the instructions on each form.
IMPORTANT: Only check off the first two boxes. DO NOT check off all three boxes on the Letter of Authorization. This form allows Fastport Passport to expedite your passport application.
Provide Your Most Recently Issued Passport
- Make sure your passport is signed.
- Your passport must be less than 5 years expired in order to renew.
- If your passport was issued over 15 years ago, you cannot renew your passport. You must apply for a new adult passport.
- If your previous passport was issued when you were under the age of 16, you need to apply for a new adult passport.
- If your passport was issued as a limited validity passport, you should NOT attempt to renew it. You need to apply for a new adult passport.
- Only your most recently issued passport will be acceptable for the passport renewal process. If you reported your most recently issued passport lost or stolen, you cannot apply for a passport renewal. You must apply for a replacement passport.
- You will need a replacement passport if your passport is damaged, missing, or altered. If your passport has some minor damage and you’d still like to apply for a passport renewal, please submit a Typed Letter of Damage Statement explaining the damage (what, where, when, why) and sign and date the statement in black ink. Please include a contact phone number in the event the Department of State has further questions. If the Damage Statement is not accepted, you will need to apply for a replacement passport and not a renewal.
- If your name has changed, you will need to include proof of name change. This will be a name change decree, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.
- All original documents will be returned to you with your new passport.
Provide Your Passport Photograph
- Provide one new passport photo (2”x2”).
- We highly recommend using the Passport Photo Creator mobile app. Download this app for free on your iOS or Android device. This easy-to-use app lets you take your own photo and will verify if your photo is compliant with the passport photo requirements set by the U.S. Department of State Passport Agency. Once you are satisfied with your passport photo, you can print to any of the 8000 Walgreens locations near you in less than one hour. You will only pay for the photo when you pick it up at your local Walgreens ($13.99). An unacceptable passport photo is the #1 reason passports are rejected or delayed. The Passport Photo Creator will help eliminate passport photo rejections.
- Handwrite your full name in pencil on the backside of your passport photo.
- The passport photo must be taken within the past 6 months and cannot be a photo of another person.
Passport Photo Requirements:
The Passport Photo Creator mobile app will help you take a perfect passport photo. Utilizing biometric facial recognition software, your passport photo will show real-time compliance checks to ensure your passport photo will be accepted. The app will verify the following Passport Photo Requirements: Eyeglasses must be removed. Recent Color Photo taken in last six months. 2×2 inches in size (51mm x 51mm). Photo Quality Paper. Head size must be between 1 inch and 1 ⅜ inches. Plain white or off-white background. Neutral facial expression (no smiles!) directly facing the camera. Normal clothing. No uniforms, except for religious clothing worn daily. No hats or head covering that covers hair or hairline, unless worn daily for religious purposes. Face must be visible with no shadows being cast on face. No headphones or similar items can be worn. Hearing devices normally worn may be included with medical certification. Dark glasses or tinted lenses non-prescription glasses are not allowed. Your eyes MUST be visible.
IMPORTANT: Still have questions? Click here for photo requirements.
Provide Proof of International Travel
- Proof of confirmed international travel within 14 days or 30 days if a visa is also needed.
- Print two copies of your proof of travel.
Acceptable Proofs of International Travel:
- (Preferred) Airfare confirmation, e-ticket, travel itinerary from airlines, travel agent, or online booking.
- Plane ticket or Hotel Confirmation (only valid for land and sea travel to Mexico or Canada).
- Business letter from your employer on official company letterhead.
IMPORTANT: Need more help? Examples of acceptable proof of international travel.
Provide Required Government Fees
- Make a check or money order payable to ‘U.S. Department of State’ in the amount of $170.00
- If you would like a Passport Card along with your passport book, please make a check or money order payable to ‘U.S. Department of State’ in the amount of $200.00
IMPORTANT: The U.S. Department of State fee is paid separately from Fastport Passport’s service fee, and must be paid via personal check (check number must be above #100) or postal money order. Temporary checks and starter checks are not accepted. All other forms of payment are subject to suspension from the U.S. Department of State. Include your name and address on the check or money order.
- Complete Application Form DS-82
Complete the DS-82 Barcoded Application Form
- Complete DS-82 form online using the Passport Applications Wizard.
- All passport agencies now require the use of the 2D bar code application form.
- TIP: You will NOT be making a payment via this form since you are using an expeditor service. When you get to the payment page, simply select any option and continue so you can print this form. There is no actual payment section on that form. You just need to print the application and continue on this checklist.
- TIP: Do not click preview form. Click NEXT PAGE at the bottom. On the last page, click ‘Create Form’ and a PDF file will open up.
- TIP: Your DS-82 Form signature must match the signature on the Letters of Authorization forms.
- TIP: Handwritten applications are not accepted for expedited passport applicants by the U.S. Department of State. Fastport Passport will not submit your documents until you send in a typed, signed, and dated application.
- TIP: The Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. Failure to include the SSN will cause your passport application to be delayed or denied. If the applicant has never received their SSN, please print and complete this form.
IMPORTANT: Handwritten applications are not accepted for expedited processing. You are not applying for your passport online, but rather completing the application form online to print it out. Government fees are paid with a check or money order.
- Package and Send Your Documents
Preparation for Sending Documents to Fastport Passport
- Any forms with a signature and date field MUST be completed with your original signature and date. Copies are not accepted. Failure to sign and date your DS application or LOA will delay your processing.
- Make sure you have the following: Letters of Authorization (signed and only the first two checkboxes selected), your expired or soon-to-be-expired passport, proof of international travel plans, passport photo, government fee ($170), name change documents (if applicable), and DS-82 passport application.
- Your documents must be received by our office the day following completion (date and signature). Failure to send us your documents the day of signing and dating the documents may cause your application to be suspended.
IMPORTANT: If you are traveling within the next 48 hours, do not send in your documents without speaking to our passport specialists first!
Shipping Your Documents for Expedited Processing to Fastport Passport
- Send us your adjudicated sealed envelope. If you chose an Inbound Shipping Method on the order form, please print out the FedEx label to send us your sealed adjudicated hand carry envelope. To ensure proper printing, please print your inbound label in Portrait Mode, not Landscape Mode.
- You can find your Inbound FedEx shipping label by logging into My Account.
- Our processing times are based on when we get the documents from you. We will send you email updates throughout the passport process once your documents are received and as your passport is being processed.
IMPORTANT:If you are not eligible for a passport renewal, your documents will not be submitted and will be returned at your expense. Please call ahead before sending your documents if you are concerned about your eligibility.
Ship all documents to:
Attention Passport Dept.
1318 Coney Island Ave
Brooklyn NY 11230
IMPORTANT: Same Day passport requests are processed the next business day unless you speak with a Fastport Passport representative and arrange first overnight shipping with FedEx.
Any Questions? Please Call Us: 800-220-1759
Now you have completed the Fastport Passport Expedited checklist!!
If you have not yet placed an order for your expedited passport processing, please Order Now.