Proof of Identity for Passport Application

Proof of Identity is required for ALL passport applicants. You can prove your identity with a previous U.S. passport. It should be in good condition, not mutilated, altered, or damaged passports as it will not be accepted. You can also use your Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, or a current and valid drivers license that is over 6 months old, a government ID, or a military ID.  Unfortunately the Social Security Card does not prove your identity. You will need secondary evidence of identification if you do not have primary identification when you visit the acceptance agent. We recommend that you bring in additional evidence of ID. If you cannot present primary identification, you should submit as much secondary identification as possible.

A Combination of Identifying Documents

As mentioned above, we recommend that you bring in as many forms of ID as possible. If your ID is less than 6 months old, you must bring additional identification forms. These documents are not acceptable as secondary identification when presented alone, so bring as many as possible.

Example: Social Security Card + Credit Card + Employee ID + Library Card

An Identifying Witness

An identifying witness is a person who can swear to your identity. He or she must be present at the time of application, have known you for at least 2 years, be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with a primary valid ID, and they will need to fill out Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness in the presence of a Passport Agent.

Name Change

If you changed your legal name, you will need to provide evidence of the name change. Proof of name change can be a certified copy of either you marriage certificate or a name change court decree.

If none of the above listed documents are available, you will need:

1. Some signature documents, not acceptable alone as ID (ex: a combination of documents, such as your Social Security card, credit card, bank card, library card, etc.) AND
2. A person who can vouch for you. He/she must:
Have known you for at least 2 years,
Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident,
Have valid ID, and
Fill out a Form DS-71 in the presence of a passport agent.