What Can Go Wrong With My Passport Application?

The U.S. Passport application process is complex and for good reason. This is an internationally recognized photo ID that also proves your U.S. citizenship. The U.S. Passport is also one of the most valuable passports in the world. Applying for a passport can be stressful because you won’t want to make any mistakes. The normal processing time for a U.S. passport in 4-6 weeks if you use routine processing. Your passport can be denied or suspended and held up indefinitely if you make any errors during the application process. Additionally, there are other reasons your passport may be denied or suspended. We will explain the entire process for you to help you avoid any passport processing delays. Using our expedited passport service helps expedite the process and can help avoid any unnecessary, complicated delays.

What Can Go Wrong With My Passport Application?

There are many things that can go wrong with your passport application. The following list will show common areas where errors occur and how you can avoid them:

Passport Photos must follow a strict criteria. Most CVS or Walgreens can help you take official passport photos. Use our handy passport photo service to ensure correct passport photos.

Child Support Payments can delay a passport application or cause it to be denied. Each state has different requirements regarding the limits of owed child support payments. If you owe child support, you will find it difficult to get a passport. Please contact your local state official that handles owed child support payments.

Letter of Authorization: This form is only required if you are using an expediting service. Please follow the checklist carefully as the LoA needs to be filled out correctly or your application will be suspended. The most common error is NOT checking off the correct boxes. Only check off the first two boxes if you want to use an expediting agency.

Consent Forms: Minor applicants must have both parents present in order to apply for their passport. Consent forms are used for minor passport applications in the event that the parent or guardian cannot both be present. These forms need to be notarized. Please refer to our child passport checklist for more information.

Passport Application Forms: Make sure you have the correct application forms. For instance, if your passport is more than one year old, you cannot apply for a name change. You would apply for a passport renewal and submit your name change documents with that application. Another common passort application form error is with the child passport. The child passport cannot be renewed. It is considered a new minor passport each time until the applicant is 16 or older, when they must then apply for a new adult passport.

Our checklists explain in careful detail the process to complete these forms. If the applicant is using our expediting option, it is imperative that the directions are followed carefully.

Signatures: If your signature does not match, your application may be rejected. All signatures need to be the same on all documents. Do your best to use the same signature on ALL forms and documents.

Government Fees must be paid correctly. Our checklists explain this in detail as well. Please be sure to pay the government fees in the form of a check for the correct amount. Paying too much or too little will delay your application.

Passport Book: If your passport book is damaged, you cannot renew it. You will need to follow the damage passport checklist. This is important as it WILL delay your application.

Identification Documents must be provided when applying for a passport, especially if that application requires a visit to a passport acceptance facility. Make sure you have the correct ID or you will not be able to complete your application.

Birth Certificate: When applying for a replacement passport, a new adult passport, or any child (minor) passport, you must provide the Long Form Birth Certificate. This is the birth certificate with the parents full names listed. It also must be an original or certified copy of the birth certificate. This is required and you will need to submit this document. It will be returned when your passport is issued.

Probation or Felony issues may also cause a passport application to be denied. If you are on probation, owe more than $1500 in child support payments, are wanted on an arrest warrant, are currently summoned to appear in court, are currently in jail, or have serious felony issues, your passport may be denied.

What can go wrong with my passport application? Many things can prevent your from getting your passport. Be sure to take your time and understand the process before you apply. Using a trusted private passport expediter like ours can help avoid any delays, suspensions, or denials of your passport application. Don’t let your passport get denied and ruin your trip. Submit your forms and documents correctly the first time!

Posted by Steven Fox