Passport Renewal Checklist Adults only
IMPORTANT: Only Adult Passports issued when the applicant was 16 or older are eligible for renewal as long as the passport is undamaged and less than 5 years expired. Minor passports (issued at 15 years old and under) cannot be renewed. It is considered a new minor passport each time until the applicant is 16 or older, when they must then apply for a new adult passport.
All paperwork must be printed single-sided. Double sided prints may delay your processing.
- Complete Application Form DS-82
This passport renewal application must be completed online and then printed out. You will NOT be making a payment via this form since you are using an expeditor service, so IGNORE the payment page at the end. Please select any option and continue so you can print this form.
Do not click preview form. Click NEXT PAGE at the bottom. On the last page, click ‘Create Form’ and a PDF file will open up. Print and sign this application form in black ink only. Make sure you enter a US address on the application. Foreign addresses will not be accepted.
Print out pages 5-6 of this form.
Important: Handwritten applications are not accepted for expedited passport applicants by the U.S. Department of State. Failure to submit a typed application will result in your application to be delayed until we receive a typed, dated, and signed original application.
TIP: The Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. Failure to include the SSN will cause your passport application to be delayed or denied. If the applicant has never received their SSN, please print and complete this form.
- Gather Supporting Documents
Required Letter of Authorization
- IMPORTANT: You must download, complete, and submit all letters of authorization listed on the link below.
- Download & Print Registered Passport Courier Letter Of Authorization
- Print each of the Letters of Authorization.
- Complete the Letters of Authorization by hand in blue or black ink.
- Please follow the instructions on each form.
- Your signature must match the signature on your DS-82 Application.
- IMPORTANT: Only check off the first two boxes. DO NOT check off all three boxes on the Letter of Authorization. This form allows our service to expedite your passport application.
Submit Passport Photographs
- Provide one new passport photo (2”x2”).
- We highly recommend using the Passport Photo Creator mobile app. Download this app for free on your iOS or Android device. This easy-to-use app lets you take your own photo and will verify if your photo is compliant with the passport photo requirements set by the U.S. Department of State Passport Agency. Once you are satisfied with your passport photo, you can print to any of the 8000 Walgreens locations near you in less than one hour. You will only pay for the photo when you pick it up at your local Walgreens ($14.99). An unacceptable passport photo is the #1 reason passports are rejected or delayed. The Passport Photo Creator will help eliminate passport photo rejections.
- Handwrite your full name in pencil on the backside of your passport photo.
- The passport photo must be taken within the past 6 months and cannot be a photo of another person.
Passport Photo Requirements:
The Passport Photo Creator mobile app will help you take a perfect passport photo. Utilizing biometric facial recognition software, your passport photo will show real-time compliance checks to ensure your passport photo will be accepted. The app will verify the following Passport Photo Requirements: Eyeglasses must be removed. Recent Color Photo taken in last six months. 2×2 inches in size (51mm x 51mm). Photo Quality Paper. Head size must be between 1 inch and 1 ⅜ inches. Plain white or off-white background. Neutral facial expression (no smiles!) directly facing the camera. Normal clothing. No uniforms, except for religious clothing worn daily. No hats or head covering that covers hair or hairline, unless worn daily for religious purposes. Face must be visible with no shadows being cast on face. No headphones or similar items can be worn. Hearing devices normally worn may be included with medical certification. Dark glasses or tinted lenses non-prescription glasses are not allowed. Your eyes MUST be visible.
Submit Proof of International Travel
For your passport application, you must provide proof of international travel within the next two weeks of application submission or 30 days if a visa is required. Click here for more information on how to provide proof of travel.
Acceptable proof of international travel: Plane Ticket, e-Ticket, confirmed flight itinerary, or a Business Letter from Employer or Company (sample). Hotel reservations are only acceptable for travel to Canada and Mexico.
Travel Plans must go inside the envelope at the Acceptance Facility (step 2).
(Note: Business letters are accepted on a case by case basis by the U.S. Department Of State. They have the right to require confirmed travel plans if they deem the applicant’s company letter is not acceptable. We always recommend the applicant to have a confirmed travel itinerary or hotel confirmation with travel dates.)
IMPORTANT: The travel plans must go inside of the hand carry envelope when you appear at the acceptance agent (step 3).
MPORTANT: The U.S. Department of State fee is paid separately from Fastport Passport’s service fee, and must be paid via personal check (check number must be above #100) or postal money order. Temporary checks and starter checks are not accepted. All other forms of payment are subject to suspension from the U.S. Department of State.
- Government fee: $170 for the passport book only or $200 if you want the passport book and the passport card.
- A new check or money order in the amount of $170.00 must list your preprinted or handwritten name and address.
- The check (personal, certified, cashiers or travelers) or money order (U.S. Postal, commercial, currency exchange) should be made payable to “U.S. Department of State”.
Submit Expired / or Soon To Be Expired Passport: (Passport Must Be Signed)
- IMPORTANT: Only your most recently issued passport will be acceptable for the passport renewal process. If you reported your most recently issued passport lost or stolen, you cannot apply for a renewal. You will need a replacement passport if your most recently issued passport is damaged, missing, or altered.
- If your passport has some minor damage and you’d still like to apply for a passport renewal, please submit a Typed Letter of Damage Statement explaining the damage (what, where, when, why) and sign and date the statement in black ink. Please include a contact phone number in the event the Department of State has further questions. If the damage statement is not accepted, you will need to apply for a replacement passport and not a renewal.
- If your name has changed, it is required that you submit original proof. This may include your original marriage license, divorce decree, or name change decree. It will be returned with your passport.
- Make sure your passport is signed!
- Your passport must be less than 5 years expired in order to renew.
- If your passport was issued over 15 years ago, you cannot renew your passport. You must apply for a new passport.
- If your passport was issued as a limited validity passport, you cannot renew your passport. You must apply for a new passport.
- If your previous passport was issued when you were under the age of 16, you need to apply for a new passport.
- If your name has changed, you will need to include proof of name change.
- This will be a name change decree, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.
- Package and Send
Any forms with a signature and date field MUST be completed with your original signature and date. Copies are not accepted. Failure to sign and date your DS application or LOA will delay your processing. Your signatures on the DS application and LOA must match.
Your documents must be received by our office the day following completion (date and signature). Failure to send us your documents the day of signing and dating the documents may cause your application to be suspended.
IMPORTANT: If you are traveling within the next 48 hours, do not send in your documents without speaking to our passport specialists first!
Ship all documents to:Attention Passport Dept.1318 Coney Island AveBrooklyn NY 11230
Note: Same Day passport renewal requests are processed the next business day unless you speak with a representative and arrange first overnight shipping with FedEx.
Now you have completed the Fastport Passport Expedited checklist!! If you have already paid for service you can send your documents to us and relax while we process your expedited passport request. If you have reviewed the checklist and now want to proceed to check out: Click Here to see our expedited service options that best fit your needs.