U.S. Passport Name Change Instructions
Save this page and open any links in a new tab or window
Please print all the paperwork single-sided to avoid processing delays.
- Gather Required Documents
Download & Print Fastport Passport’s Registered Courier Service Letter Of Authorization
- Call us for the required Letter of Authorization.
- Print each of the Letters of Authorization.
- Complete the Letter of Authorization by hand in blue or black ink. Electronic signatures are not accepted.
- Please follow the instructions on each form.
IMPORTANT: Only check off the first two boxes. DO NOT check off all three boxes on the Letter of Authorization. This form allows our service to expedite your passport application.
Provide Valid Passport
- If your passport was issued more than one year ago, you must apply for an Adult Passport Renewal and submit the name change documents during that process.
- You will need a replacement passport if your passport is damaged, missing, or altered.
- Make sure your passport is signed.
Provide Proof of Name Change
- You must provide proof of name change: Marriage Certificate or Court Order
- The name change document must bear the official seal of the issuing authority.
- Notarized documents or uncertified copies are not acceptable.
Provide Your Passport Photograph
- Provide one new passport photo (2”x2”).
- We highly recommend using the Passport Photo Creator mobile app. Download this app for free on your iOS or Android device. This easy-to-use app lets you take your own photo and will verify if your photo is compliant with the passport photo requirements set by the U.S. Department of State Passport Agency. Once you are satisfied with your passport photo, you can print to any of the 8000 Walgreens locations near you in less than one hour. You will only pay for the photo when you pick it up at your local Walgreens ($13.99). An unacceptable passport photo is the #1 reason passports are rejected or delayed. The Passport Photo Creator will help eliminate passport photo rejections.
- Handwrite your full name in pencil on the backside of your passport photo.
- The passport photo must be taken within the past 6 months and cannot be a photo of another person.
Passport Photo Requirements:
The Passport Photo Creator mobile app will help you take a perfect passport photo. Utilizing biometric facial recognition software, your passport photo will show real-time compliance checks to ensure your passport photo will be accepted. The app will verify the following Passport Photo Requirements: Eyeglasses must be removed. Recent Color Photo taken in last six months. 2×2 inches in size (51mm x 51mm). Photo Quality Paper. Head size must be between 1 inch and 1 ⅜ inches. Plain white or off-white background. Neutral facial expression (no smiles!) directly facing the camera. Normal clothing. No uniforms, except for religious clothing worn daily. No hats or head covering that covers hair or hairline, unless worn daily for religious purposes. Face must be visible with no shadows being cast on face. No headphones or similar items can be worn. Hearing devices normally worn may be included with medical certification. Dark glasses or tinted lenses non-prescription glasses are not allowed. Your eyes MUST be visible.
IMPORTANT: Still have questions? Click here for photo requirements.
Provide Proof of International Travel
- Proof of confirmed international travel within 14 days or 30 days if a visa is also needed.
- Print two copies of your proof of travel.
Acceptable Proofs of International Travel:
- (Preferred) Airfare confirmation, e-ticket, travel itinerary from airlines, travel agent, or online booking.
- Plane ticket or Hotel Confirmation (only valid for land and sea travel to Mexico or Canada).
- Business letter from your employer on official company letterhead.
IMPORTANT: Need more help? Examples of acceptable proof of international travel.
Provide Required Government Fees
- Make a check or money order payable to ‘U.S. Department of State’ in the amount of $60.00
IMPORTANT: The U.S. Department of State fee is paid separately from Fastport Passport’s service fee, and must be paid via personal check (check number must be above #100) or postal money order. Temporary checks and starter checks are not accepted. All other forms of payment are subject to suspension from the U.S. Department of State. Include your name and address on the check or money order.
- Complete Application Form DS-5504
Complete the DS-5504 Barcoded Application Form
- Complete DS-5504 form online using the Passport Applications Wizard.
- All passport agencies now require the use of the 2D bar code application form.
- TIP: You will NOT be making a payment via this form since you are using an expeditor service. When you get to the payment page, simply select any option and continue so you can print this form. There is no actual payment section on that form. You just need to print the application and continue on this checklist.
- TIP: Do not click preview form. Click NEXT PAGE at the bottom. On the last page, click ‘Create Form’ and a PDF file will open up.
- TIP: Your DS-5504 Form signature must match the signature on the Letters of Authorization forms.
- TIP: Handwritten applications are not accepted for expedited passport applicants by the U.S. Department of State. Fastport Passport will not submit your documents until you send in a typed, signed, and dated application.
- TIP: The Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. Failure to include the SSN will cause your passport application to be delayed or denied. If the applicant has never received their SSN, please print and complete this form.
IMPORTANT: Handwritten applications are not accepted for expedited processing. You are not applying for your passport online, but rather completing the application form online to print it out. Government fees are paid with a check or money order.
IMPORTANT: If your passport was issued more than one year ago, you must apply for an Adult Passport Renewal and submit the name change documents during that process.
- Package and Send Your Documents
Preparation for Sending Documents to Fastport Passport
- Any forms with a signature and date field MUST be completed with your original signature and date. Copies are not accepted. Failure to sign and date your DS application or LOA will delay your processing.
- Make sure you have the following: Letters of Authorization (signed and only the first two checkboxes selected), your expired or soon-to-be-expired passport, proof of international travel plans, passport photo, government fee ($170), name change documents (if applicable), and DS-82 passport application.
- Your documents must be received by our office the day following completion (date and signature). Failure to send us your documents the day of signing and dating the documents may cause your application to be suspended.
IMPORTANT: If you are traveling within the next 48 hours, do not send in your documents without speaking to our passport specialists first!
Shipping Your Documents for Expedited Processing to Fastport Passport
- Send us your adjudicated sealed envelope. Use an overnight delivery service like FedEx and make sure you keep your tracking number.
- Our processing times are based on when we get the documents from you. We will send you email updates throughout the passport process once your documents are received and as your passport is being processed.
IMPORTANT:If you are not eligible for a passport renewal, your documents will not be submitted and will be returned at your expense. Please call ahead before sending your documents if you are concerned about your eligibility.
Ship all documents to:
Attention Fastport Passport
60 E 42nd St
Suite 512, New York, NY 10165
IMPORTANT: Same Day passport requests are processed the next business day unless you speak with a Fastport Passport representative and arrange first overnight shipping with FedEx.
Any Questions? Please Call Us: 800-220-1759
Now you have completed the Fastport Passport Expedited checklist!!
If you have not yet placed an order for your expedited passport processing, please Order Now.